Sunday, March 30, 2008

God is a healer

I have heard many stories of God's miraculous intervention and healing. I have heard of those who have been diagnosed with cancer and returned for chemotherapy only to find that God had rid them of cancer. I know that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. My head knows these truths about God's power and His love, BUT my heart struggles with why my family is so sick every winter.

We did really well until March, and since then all five of us have really struggled. I have missed two youth meetings, my husband has missed church (the pastor staying home is never good) and a youth meeting. We just finished spring break. What was supposed to be five wonderful days off school and a chance to play and spend more time in ministry found someone in our family with a fever each day this week. We start school again on Monday and the dish pile is flowing into the living room, the laundry pile is well, not even a pile because there are clothes all over the house, the kids have been locked up inside all week watching TV, and much more chaos then I want to admit.

So I go back to knowing that God is ABLE to keep us healthy and He CARES so much that it saddens Him when we are ill. Yet still each winter sickness overtakes this family for weeks and months. So there must be a reason that He wants us to go through this time. The pessimist in me says that God is preparing me for a season of caring for someone who is very ill. The optimist in me, oh who am I kidding there is no optimist in me. For right now, I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to know WHY. I praise Him for the good days so much more when I remember the sick days. I teach my children to have empathy for others and to help those in need--even when that means mommy or daddy who can't get out of bed. I do now what I do during all trials. I obey and seek Him more and let Him take care of the circumstances around me. Whoa, that is so easy to write and so hard to do.

3 comments:

Treasure Seeker said...

HI!
I followed the link back to your blog...
well, i really feel for you guys about being sick. we have been there and done that. in a moment of desperation i found some awesome vitamins that have helped tremendously.... all natural, from a Christian company. you can go to www.thejourneytomiagrace.blogspot.com and ask my daughter more about them..
btw - we have some really neat adoption stories! i have started a thread on my blog regarding it.

prayers for health and wellness!
dorinda

Kelly @ Love Well said...

The optimist-pessimist comment made me laugh out loud. :-) I miss you.

I wonder if a move to a colder climate would help your annual sickness parade. My Mom says she and my Dad get sick so much more in California than they ever did in Minnesota. She theorizes that the cold temperatures kill off some germs, thereby reducing your chances of contracting an illness.

If she's right, we'll be very healthy this week. We're under a winter storm watch for tomorrow -- another 6 inches.

Maybe I should send you a "care package" full of wintry powder.

Anonymous said...

thought i'd popover and say, "hi!!" and i can relate to the optimist/pessimist kind of thing - but i am more of a pessimist in an optimist's clothing...

i love making new blog friends, i'll have to keep reading to learn more about you. hope you guys are all feeling well and stay that way!!